real men eat nut burgers (recipe)

on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Photobucket

Photobucket

The above photos are intended to show some rugged manliness. The culprit on the right is my wonderful father-in-law. He could eat off meat alone and he braised & curated (or was that raised and cured) the 2 hunks of meat to the left of him. Technically he is responsible for the upbringing and preservation (curing) of his boys in a world that seemingly is at a loss for fine young men. He also thinks I eat tree bark or hug tress or something like that. See the thing about it is I do eat meat....sometimes. I just don't feel the need to eat it every single day. Apparently almost all of the very significant men in my life do though. They have all been obsessed with hamburgers and such. One time I even had to ground beef a certain boyfriend from going to The Happy Hound or The Burger Palace or something like that. Do you see my dilemma....how am I ever going to satisfy our household in one swoop of a meal...that was until I came upon nut burgers. Now we have officially saved husbands manliness all while I basked in my love of nuts of course.


The best part about it is it is very easy to make.

1 cup raw cashews
1 cup walnuts
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup almond, soy or any real cheese (I like almond cheese bur husband likes real cheese)
1 egg beaten
1/2 onion chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
chili powder to your liking

blend or finely chop the nuts;
mix with the brown rice, chesse, egg, onions, salt & chili powder;
mold into patties (I then lightly coat patty with spelt flour)
place patty in a greased frying pan (I use olive oil) and cook until lightly browned on each side

Mmm...mmm..good. Of course husband & kids slather on the sauces and call it good but I have to have the works (lettuce, sprouts, tomatos, pickles etc).

Photobucket

Anybody else ever dabbled in nut burger making?